Abdominal Numbness After Hysterectomy

My abdominal numbness is improving everyday, and I'm so happy! I was afraid that the feeling would be permanent. For others who are thinking of surgery or who are recovering from surgery... it's perfectly normal to have a bit of numbness after hysterectomy.

In my case, the feeling is a little hard to describe. There was numbness, but there was also a burning sensation... all at the same time. I felt like my insides were numb, but my skin felt like it had been frostbitten. It wasn't exactly painful, but it was definitely uncomfortable.

Remember... even if your doctor tells you a full recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks, it really takes much longer. Your body has been through so much, and it will be months before you are completely back to normal. Everything-- muscles, nerves, ligaments, skin-- has been cut, and all those things must heal. Some numbness, tingling, burning, and loss of sensation are perfectly normal. Severe pain that persists despite medication, however, is not normal and should be reported to your doctor.

There is life after hysterectomy... and it's good. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hi, me again. This is one thing that I wondered about. Several years ago, I had a total thyroidectomy after they discovered thyroid cancer. It took a good year before my neck got back to normal as far as the numbness. You described the numbness very well and yes, it is hard to describe.

Unknown said...

This described my feelings perfectly. I had a hard time figuring out how it feels but read this and what I feel is exactly this. I'm post op hysterectomy due to uterine cancer.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Cookie and im now recovering from a total hysterectomy that I had less then 4 days ago..Thank you for posting that the numbness and stinging sensation are normal...I thought I had a botched opperation! But they took the staples out and it seems like it hurts and burns worse is that normal?