Diet for Hormone Balance?

As you know by now, I still have my ovaries... I also have hot flashes, night sweats, and roller coaster emotions. I'm still waiting to find out if my hormone levels are normal or not, but I know something isn't quite right, so I'm looking into my options. I've recently read that your hormonal health can depend greatly on your diet. That makes perfect sense to me! You know, you are what you eat and all...

So, I'm going to start eating a more "hormonally sound" diet and I'll report back on my health. According to the experts-- doctors, such as Dr. Theresa Dale and Dr. Earl Mindell-- these dietary changes can boost hormone health and, by extension, symptoms such as mood swings, loss of libido, vaginal dryness, night sweats, and hot flashes:

  • No sugar
  • No caffeine
  • No white flour
  • No dairy products
  • No wheat
  • Increase the amount of raw food in your diet
  • Eat foods steamed or sauteed rather than fried
  • Avoid aluminum cookware (glass is preferable)
  • Eat organic if possible; at a minimum, clean fruits and vegetables well
  • Avoid preservatives

For more information, check out Dr. Theresa Dale's book, Revitalize Your Hormones: Dr. Dale's 7 Steps to a Happier, Healthier, and Sexier You. Another book that has gotten rave reviews from friends, although I haven't yet read it, is "It's My Ovaries, Stupid" by Elizabeth Lee Vliet. That's next on my reading list.

Have you tried dietary treatment for your hormonal imbalances? How did it work?

  • Avoid plastic containers

There is life after hysterectomy... and it's good. Enjoy!

No comments: