Dealing With Depression After Hysterectomy

If you recently had a hysterectomy and are still feeling depressed and out of sorts, I want to assure you... it really does get better. For me, I saw significant improvement between the fourth and fifth weeks. My relief was multi-faceted.

Still a Woman?


First off, I had to deal with feeling "less than" because I no longer have a uterus. Less than a woman, less desirable, less feminine, less than whole. I had to realize that I'm much more than a uterus, that I'm not defined by my fertility. This was challenging at first, but it all comes down to a quality of life issue. I realized that I could've gone another 10 years or more with my uterus, suffering day after day, but being "complete." Would that make me more of a woman? I think not.

I wasn't happy like that-- the pain, the mood swings, the constant bleeding. It was no way to live. So, now I've lost my uterus, but so what? I've also lost the pain and the bleeding. To me, it's a pretty good trade-off. I'm guessing yours was, too!

I would suggest that you take some time to think of the things you gave up by having surgery-- bleeding, pain, bloating, mood swings, risk of uterine cancer, fibroids, etc. Write it down so you can refer to it later. Now, write down the things you'll eventually gain-- more even moods, life without pain, freer social life (no planning things after your bleeding), more spontaneous sex life, etc. If you have a spouse and children, include the benefits to them as well-- they'll immediately see the beauty of a happier, healthier, more energetic you! See which list outweighs the other. Keep this list in a safe place-- you'll need to refer back to it often.

Deal With Any Deficiencies


You'll also want to deal with any hormonal deficiencies you have. Whether you have your ovaries or not, you could be showing signs of menopause. It's important to have your hormone levels checked, especially if you're experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. If possible, have a saliva test instead of the blood.

I've been taking Complete Balance for Menopause. There is an AM formula and a PM one, and it gave me almost immediate relief. Not only are my hot flashes gone, I'm also feeling happier and more energetic. I'm also using Pro-Gest, a natural progesterone cream.

In addition, I'm taking L-tyrosine and 5-HTP. This is because I show symptoms of a serotonin deficiency. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter largely responsible for feelings of calm, relaxation, and happiness. If you're deficient, you will feel anxious and irritable. As an added benefit, serotonin is responsible for feelings of sexual desire.

Please note that I'm not suggesting you take the same supplements I'm using. I'm not a doctor and I know nothing about your specific situation. I am suggesting that you check with your doctor. If your doctor isn't helpful, read books about hormone help. Pharmacists are also helpful.

The bottom line is relief is available. You may have to search for the answers, but the answers are out there.

There is life after hysterectomy... and it's good. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the great blog, Misty! I really enjoyed all your posts. I found your blog by searching for LBP after hysterectomy surgery. I really related to a lot of what you said throughout your posts. I am almost 3 weeks post-op and just started having LBP earlier this week (probably partially due to doing too much on Christmas Eve), but it's reassuring to see that it's fairly common and temporary. I, too, jumped out of bed too quickly one night (nightmare, sleepwalking event) and worried if I did any internal damage (Doc says probably nothing to worry about) and I've had the burning sensation in the belly that you describe so well. Your blog is really informative and fun and positive. Like you said, we need to read positive information, not all the anti-hysterectomy stuff out there. I plan to check back often to see how you are progressing. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Julie said...

Thanks Misty for your great Blog! I came across it when I searched for back pain after hysterectomy. I ended up reading all your posts and often stopped to say, "Yep, that's me!" My fears pre-surgery were that I would have a stroke when they were bringing me out of the anesethesia. I also jumped out of bed too quickly on my first night home. Mine was due to a "sleep walking" type of thing, but the results were the same. I had lots of pain and great anxiety of what I may have done to the internal stitches. Now that I have been having LBP for the last week, that fear creeps back in. Reading here that LBP happens often after hysterectomies is reassuring. You described the strange burning sensation of the belly spot-on! I am just about 3 weeks post-op so I will check back to see how your progress is going. Good luck to you and thanks again for the fun and informative Blog!

Misty from WhatContainsGluten? said...

Hi Julie! I'm so glad you're here. I'll try to post more regularly so you can see what you have ahead of you in the recovery journey! I hope your back feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am nearly 3 weeks post laproscopic hysterectomy, great to hear that I am not going crazy and thinking I have gone backward, same here probably all from overdoing it,but with 2 small kids how does one take it easy,I have a very supportive husband and he now  has gone back to work so Im on my own,I have had bad issues with constipation I hve irritable bowel anyway, hopefully that is now resolving, I declined the bowel medicine in hospital and preferred to stick to my own psyillum husk, I also get that lower burning pain and worry about this, it is not incapacitating but anything is a worry, the doctors and nurses could never give the same info as other women can, I am a nurse and I dont even grasp the concept of take it easy. Good luck in the coming weeks and hope all is well.Jacki

Sonia Roselli said...

Honey!!!

Had I known a hysterectomy was so amazing and wonderful, I would have had one at 27 and not 37. I feel more normal and happy!!! Not too happy about the weight gain but eh, now I don't get that upset over little things. Uterus be gone!
xoxo
Sonia

Anonymous said...

If you were being honest about Hysterectomy/Sex Organ Removal, you would all be talking about the permanent loss of uterine orgasm and pelvic and bladder support your so called useless uterus's gave you, along with future heart health, protection from dementia and protection from Parkinson's disease, among other permanent side effects. You would be talking about your lack of energy, stamina, sexual response and lack of uterine orgasm - "because you can't have a uterine orgasm without a uterus."
Medical science has not even discovered all of the substances produced and housed in the uterus and their relation to a woman's health and well-being yet beyon reproduction, I guess they forgot to tell you that!. If misery loves company, you sure are in some good company here. Are you all enjoying your protruding egg shaped abdomen's too, now that you have lost your hormone responsive muscular sex organ?
You all sound like doctors promoting an incredibly legal epidemic lie to me. Hysterectomy is equivalent to a man having his prostate gland removed, and I think we all know what that means.

Anonymous said...

To that last post.. wow!!! You have no clue what these women are going through! Im four weeks post-op and found this information very helpful. Prior to my surgery I went through may different test, lots of doctors and very painful weeks.. long story short.. after my hysterectomy they found what was wrong with me. It was endometriosis. So its not about one specific women, its about helping someone.. another sister!!!

Thank you Misty your blog was very helpful!!! Thank you for sharing your experience and I will definitely speak to my doctor about something to help me with my energy and sex life

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog. I'm 30 and two weeks post op for an everything but my ovaries emergency hysterectomy when my daughters placenta wouldn't detach. I've had night sweats or three nights and never even thought it could be caused from my surgery. Your words about ten yrs with a uterus vs without now were also touching. I took a huge risk having my daughter four yrs after a uterine ablation for polyps but couldn't live with out trying for another child when it happened. Ten yrs with a useless uterus and a cervix or the next decade of watching her grow up beside my son is an easy choice, Id choose motherhood and risks over my lady part again any day.