Being There Before the Hysterectomy

If someone you know is having a hysterectomy, she might not know how to ask for help. Trust me, she needs help! There are so many ways you can help, it doesn't even have to be something major. Probably the biggest thing you can offer is your support. Hysterectomy is a big deal, and it can be frightening and highly emotional. Just being there, lending an ear and a shoulder, can be worth so much. Remember your friend is facing some fears that might seem illogical to you-- don't laugh! In the days leading up to my surgery, I had this horrible fear that I would remain alert and feeling during the procedure, and that the doctor wouldn't know! Sounds silly, I know now, but it kept me awake several nights in a row. Just be willing to listen and to reassure as needed...

No comments: