Post-Hysterectomy Gas

There were so many things I didn't know before my surgery. One of those little tidbits I was ignorant of was the gas. Pass gas, poot, fart... whatever you call it, you're going to be doing it for days and days after the surgery. And that's a good thing... really.

Many, many of your bodily functions will be sluggish after abdominal surgery, and that includes passing gas. Trust me, you'll feel much better when you do! It's important to pass the gas, but it isn't always easy.

Walking helps-- a lot. As soon as your doctor/nurse says it's safe, start moving. It helps with the elimination of gas, and also decreases gas overall. Avoiding spicy and gas-producing foods immediately before and after the surgery helps, too. If you are uncomfortable, see if your doctor will allow gas relief medications, like Gas-X.

1 comment:

nicola's drabble said...

I'm 18 days post op. Yep. All of the farting.