How Should the Hysterectomy Site Look?

When I was released from the hospital two days post-hysterectomy, I thought I knew what to look for. The nurse explained that the incision site would turn slightly red, but that the redness should not extend more than 1/8 inch from the incision itself. So, I felt pretty confident in my ability to care for my incision, and I went on my way. That confidence lasted all of two days!

On one of my husband's nightly incision checks (because I couldn't see it over my swollen belly!), he nervously said, "It's yellow! And there are purple marks all over the place!" Yellow? Purple? Those colors weren't mentioned in my discharge papers, and panic set in. I was convinced I had some strange, unheard of infection or that my mega-doses of Motrin and Darvocet had destroyed my liver. I called the nurse and was immediately reassured.

Turns out, abdominal hysterectomy is a pretty brutal surgery. The doctor cuts through many layers. Ligaments and blood vessels are cut away from the uterus. Organs are moved and rearranged. Blood vessels are tied off. The top of the vagina is stitched. With all the cutting, moving, tying, and stitching, it's inevitable that some bruising and discoloration will occur. Some blood vessels will undoubtedly be broken. Just like any other bruising, these bruises must go through the normal healing process, and that involves changing colors: red, black, purple, and yellow. Some people bruise more easily than others, and the bruising shows more vividly on light-skinned people. Have I mentioned that I'm pale as a ghost?


Normal Signs


  • Bruising
  • Slight numbness around the incision
  • Slight burning of the skin surrounding the incision (I felt this around my belly button, too)
  • A hard, jagged ridge forming along the incision (this will eventually recede)
  • Swollen tummy


Warning Signs


Still, the possibility of infection and other complications does exist, so you should learn the warning signs. Call your doctor if you notice:
  • Pus draining from the incision site
  • Fever of 101 degree F or higher
  • Abdominal pain that does not improve with pain medication
  • Dizziness
  • Persistent headache
  • Vomiting
  • Burning with urination
  • Muscle aches
  • Redness extending more than 1/8 inch from the incision

There is life after hysterectomy... and it's good. Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi...love your site! Answered so many questions as I find the hospital tells you very little upon release. I am 5 weks, almost 6 post op and feeling better every day but still weepy at times, still tender just above my incision, the incision itself underneath(the tissue) feels rock hard, swelling just above the incision like a little pouch (will this ever go away) today some discharge - no bleeding but my friends say its just part of the healing process( can you remember any)? Does this all sound normal to you? Still not sleeping well, awake every couple of hours...night sweats....still ahve ovaries but was on a needle 3 months prior to try and stop bleeding before surgery and this causes temp menopause so perhaps that explains lack of sleep and hot flashes....sorry for so many questions....thanks

Anonymous said...

I am about 3 weeks post op from an abdominal hysterectomy. My incision is healing well, but I am very discouraged by this horrid pouch about an inch above the incision. I used to have a flat stomach and now I feel deformed. Will this pouch ever go away (it's not just that my stomach isn't flat it's that it looks deformed. I am also still having a bloody tinged discharge but it doesn't appear too bad and I thought it was normal. It hasn't really changed since I left the hospital. Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I am 4 weeks post op. Had subtotal hyst with removal of ovaries. Thought it might help with the swollen stomach syndrome as it appears a lot of it is caused by fluctuating hormones. Unfortunately I developed a haematoma which resulted in an infected open wound which is still being packed and dressed every day. My stomach is pretty swollen, but unsure whether it is the trauma that is causing it. Shall ask the gynaecologist when I see him in 2 weeks' time. Hope things have improved for you.

Anonymous said...

hi hope all of you are doing well: i cam across your site and was so relieved with your testimonial as it fits mine like a book. I am married, 48yrs old, 3 grown ups, nursing and surgical experience for over 20 years. Never dreamt it would happen to me - had a large fibroid - my tummy was as flat as a counter top- started with severe bleeding then found out i had this big thing growing in me. I am 7 days post op "radical hysterectomy" everything removed and i have the bruises and yellowish color arounf the area too, lots of gas, cramping, bouts of severe pain, a bit of constipation (not bad though) burning / pain to urinate. I Wept 3 days after surgery....blues i suppose. Because of my experience i got up and moved around few hours after surgery (yup) and still do slowly. I am a natural health practitioner - but i also knew it would take a looooooooong time to shrink what i had in me and i was bleeding too much....use wisdom....dont feel guilty....feel good about yourselves....life goes on....we can serve others better when its all over (I am a Pastor)
Feel free to write me....i am in Jamaica West Indies.....you might be one girl..but youre not alone.
God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Your site relieved some anxiety and fear for me this eve.I will be one week post op tomorrow at 8 AM. Had an abdominal surgery about 10 years ago where they removed an ovary, fallopian tube, my appendix and about 12 inches of my colon. (My appendix had ruptured.) That surgery seems like a piece of cake compared to the appearance of my purple swollen belly and pulling type burning pain with this surgery. I realize that my stomach will never be "pretty" but am hoping it will return to some semblance of normal. Thanks for providing a forum for answering these types of questions.

Anonymous said...

I also have that lump above my surgical site. I already had it but smaller due to two C sections prior. It looks much bigger to me now but i am only 5 days post op. I am also very swollen and gassy ;) does anyone know when the gas finally ends???

Anonymous said...

So glad I found this. I am totally reassured now,as I am having the same issues and was getting worried. I am 5 days post total abdominal hysterectomy and the bruising was really scaring me. Glad to know it's normal. This has really helped me. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Ladies,
I found this site after searching up some symptoms that I have and I found your posts very helpful. I am 48 with 3 grown kids. Two months ago I was surprised with the diagnosis of ovarian cancer with a tumor the size of a volleyball. I am almost three weeks post-op from a total hysterectomy & appendectomy. Being very independent, I started doing chores as soon as I could and lifted more than I was told to. I noticed a rather large, somewhat firm lump about an inch above my incision and it sometimes causes me a little discomfort. I see a few others have experienced this as well which gives me hope that it's not abnormal or anything to freak out over while I wait to see my surgeon in January. Thank you for posting your stories. Together we can support each other and get through this.
Danielle Moog

Helen said...

Hi...Helen here...I had a total hysterectomy Aug 2016...which included removal of a brenner tumour 6x5x2 inches thick. 24 clips for wound and 3 weeks under health care...thereafter I took care of myself. For the most part I guess I progressed well slowly but surely. Lost weight down to 8st 3lbs...over the year to Sept 2017 have gained 4 lbs. For the past two months I noticed 'bumps' near the scar and a soft pouch of skin above my belly button just where the scar ended(upwards from below). My abdome protrudes now, and sitting in a deep seat - couch etc - makes it more noticeable. I have always been flat tummied and am sort of thrown by this! I think that this will be exacerbated if I put on any more weight. As it is, when I consume anything my tummy bulges. Am dogged by constipation and woken in the night by terrible pressure from my bladder...

Reina said...

Hi ladies am a 40 year old mother of 4 full time grandma of 1 and today is my 1 week mark of supracervical abdominal hysterectomy. I am so emotional, confused and lost. Inside my incision (muscles) it's hard. And at times get major cramps. Meds are making me sick to my stomach and I feel as if am constantly weak. Am told this is normal. But what is normal at 40 with a hysterectomy? Blessing to all out there.

Anonymous said...

Am 43 and had a total hist.may 23, 2019. I had the blues, felt guilty(why I don't know). Sometimes the pain is so bad ibporfen doesn't help. Fell like throwing up at times. Pelvic area still hurts. I was told all this is normal. I have the burises around the four incisions. I see my GYN tomorrow. We hope this sloves all the menstrual cycle issues I had. This is after I had my uterus lining burnt in November 2018. That helped most my issues but not all them. Thank you for your insights.