Things I Wish I Had Known Before Hysterectomy

There are so many things I wish I'd known before surgery. I'm learning new things each and every day. Here are just a few:

1. Even though I chose this surgery, there will be moments I will grieve-- painfully-- for my uterus.

2. In moments like that, I'll feel like curling up in a ball and bawling... but I won't be able to... pain prevents me from getting in that position!

3. Surgery proves who cares... and who doesn't.

4. God really does have a weird sense of humor. This is illustrated by the fact that I now look six months pregnant.

5. The incision really is way down in the nether regions and it really is healing nicely. Just as promised, my doctor has left me totally worthy of sexy lingerie... well, except for the bloated tummy, jiggly thighs.... oh, never mind!

6. Abdominal surgery leaves you constipated... very, very constipated.

7. You can literally feel your organs moving around... and it's a wicked feeling. (Wear your binder!)

8. You will be a big, fat farting gasbag, so embrace your inner guy.

9. Despite the doctor's mantra of "Female empowerment" and the thrill you feel over taking charge of your health and your pain, there will be moments of supreme self-doubt.

What about you... what do you wish you had known?

1 comment:

Mandy said...

This is truly a great blog! I found it just in time too. After searching all over the net for information on this topic and finding a bunch of medical nothing...I did a search in BlogCatalog and found you =) I have numerous health issues and just had another one added...Uterine Prolapse. Between this fibroids and cysts, the doc says that I need a hysterectomy. Not having a uterus doesn't bother me as much as the surgery. Next, I am going to read your numbness post. I hope that you don't mind if I add your link to my health blog.